Sunday, November 20, 2011

Filet time

BigD is having his chest opened tomorrow, his breastbone sawed in half and pulled apart with a heavy metal retractor (goog a photo and see what fun it looks like) , his heart stopped for 4-6 hours, his vessels rerouted, then his breast bone will be pulled back together and wired shut, finally ending with a lovely 7-10 inch scar down the middle of his chest.

It all sounds so simple.

Lets just hope tomorrow isn't the day the surgeon decides to quit drinking and gets the DT's, or he feels a head cold coming on and lets out a gigantic sneeze and the bloody scalpel slips out of his hand and slices the aorta, or a young inexperienced surgeon begs and begs to help (think kids in the kitchen) and the frustrated old surgeon says 'whatev' and lets him take over.

This is the way my mind works. I can't tell anyone in my real life because they would think I was nuts, or mean, or whatever. So, I come here to let you judge my bizarreness.

Am I nervous? A little. But not about the surgery. It is taking place in the #1 cardiac facility in the world. Kings and Queens have been in the very OR that BigD will be in. The surgery itself will be fine. I am worried about after. Depression, anger, pain, and those are just what I will experience. He may have some issues too.

8 comments:

Tina said...

I love you. So very much. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly.

pam/wordgirl said...

I read this last night on my reader and wanted to comment then -- but didn't have the time -- I'm afraid I still won't manage the right words but I do understand the anxiety that comes with change -- especially when someone is recovering from something so major.

It goes without saying that I'll be thinking of you and yours today -- and in the weeks to come.

A good book to disappear into? That's always my answer...

Pam

Rock Chef said...

I will be thinking good thoughts in your direction...

preppyplayer said...

thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery, for him too!

Anonymous said...

As the Buddhists say, this is a HUGE OPPORTUNITY for Big D to make a shift in his life. This is where a handy counsellor might come in hand - do they give sessions like that for free following heart surgery? Well, they should. Perhaps while Big D is recovering, leave only spiritual books by his bedside so he has no choice but to read them. This is going to be hard on you as well I can tell cause you gotta take care of him.
I hope you finds a renewed appreciation for you.

By the way, it's okay to be nervous or afraid - heart surgery is a big deal. I couldn't imagine life without my hubby by my side - big pain in the *** he is. He's my pain in the ***.

Will be sending daimoku to you.

Claudya Martinez said...

Heavy, heavy stuff. You are in my thoughts.

The Hopkins Happenings said...

Thinking about you! Hope everything went well and that he's recovering quickly!!

Jade said...

Wow! I've missed a lot! I need to stop by more often. I hope your hubby is fully recovered by now. Just wanted to stop by and wish you a very happy holiday season and a wonderful 2012.